Virtual meeting software has drastically changed how we connect with coworkers and clients. The days of flying across the country for a quarterly staff meeting have been replaced with webcams and software sharing programs. However, virtual meetings aren’t a cure-all for common meeting complaints like disorganization, lack of focus, poor time management, and including people not relevant to the project.
While it would be ideal to simply avoid the meetings that aren’t beneficial to you, it’s inevitable that at some point in your career, you will have to participate in a time-sink meeting. Here are some light-hearted suggestions for passing the time while attending a boring virtual meeting:
Pretend You’re Taking Notes
Everyone writes notes in meetings, so you’re stuck in a meeting that has zero benefit to you or your team, get some things done while appearing to look productive:
• Complete your weekly menu and grocery list
• Jot down entertaining facial and verbal ticks of your coworkers
• Craft ideas for your next blog post
• Write a poem
• Draw pictures of your coworkers
• Write out your to-do list for the day
When You’re Not on Video Chat
Not every meeting takes place via your web cam. Often, telecommuters call into meetings. There’s nothing more boring than being on the phone for a meeting that’s not helpful to you. The bonus is, no one can see you, so you can get away with a lot of distractions.
Play an Online Game. Online games are only a good idea if no one can see your computer screen. Meeting attendees won’t know you aren’t working or taking notes, so feel free to entertain yourself with a game or two while they prattle on about the TPS report:
• Tend to your crops in Farmville
• Play a game or two of Words With Friends
• Play Solitaire on your computer
• Give Bingo Bash a try
• Play Plants vs. Zombies
Get Stuff Done
• Catch up on your emails
• Paint your nails
• Update your Twitter status
• Toss a load of laundry in the washing machine
• Flip through a magazine
• Text a friend
• Try to lick your elbow
• Grab a snack or have your lunch
• Create a playlist for the day
• Brainstorm random acts of kindness you would like to perform
How often are you expected to call into meetings that are a waste of time? What do you do to entertain yourself?
image credit: FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Virtual Vocations is an online job compilation service that helps job-seekers find legitimate telecommute opportunities while also providing useful and educational resources for remote workers. Search hundreds of hand-screened telecommute jobs today to make your work-at-home dream a reality!