Edited February 5, 2015
It’s freezing outside and your kids are home from school due to inclement weather. With hours to go before the end of your work day, you need ideas for keeping your children occupied as Old Man Winter traps you all inside.
With cold weather gripping most of the country, many telecommuting parents have to share their home office with home-bound kids. In order to protect your productivity and ensure your children are entertained, our staff developed this list of seven budget-friendly cold weather activities:
1. Get crafty. Valentine’s Day is right around the corner. Break out the construction paper and pens to give your kids an early start on crafting homemade Valentine’s Day gifts for friends and family.
2. Work on a puzzle. Puzzles are an inexpensive and fun way to pass the time. Working on and solving puzzles helps improve alertness, concentration, and creativity.
3. Draw. Ignite your child’s inner artist by requesting custom pieces of artwork. Ask her to draw a picture of you, family members, pets, snowmen, flowers, or anything else you fancy.
4. Get cooking! Whether you make sandwiches, salads, or pasta, your child can lend a helping hand. Plus, children who participate in preparing their food are more likely to eat it. What a great way to teach healthy eating habits!
5. Have a dance party. Take an afternoon break and start a family dance party. Help your kids release all of their energy by turning up your favorite tunes and boogying your cares away.
6. Make it a movie day. If you’re under multiple deadlines and need a little peace and quiet, pop some popcorn, have your kids put on their favorite pajamas, grab some sleeping bags, and have your children pile up in the living room for an at-home film fest.
7. Go old-school with games. Kick it old-school by introducing your kids to classic Nintendo games using the Project 64 Emulator, a free download that lets you play N64 video games like The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Super Mario 64, and Mario Kart 64, on your home computer.
We want to hear from you! What other kid-friendly cold weather activities can you add to our list? Join the discussion by leaving a comment below and don’t forget to connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and Pinterest.
Virtual Vocations is a family-owned job service committed to helping you find quality telecommute job leads. We strive to help make your work-at-home job search faster, safer and more productive by bringing you scam-free jobs that offer some form of telecommuting or virtual work.
Learn how our service works, browse job leads by location and career category, or search hundreds of hand-screened telecommuting jobs to find legitimate work-at-home job leads that match your skills and background.